With our 20 year celebration well underway, we have a variety of exciting news and happenings to share with you, as well as a few things that make Long Shadows special. Without further ado, here is the current “Top 10” list of Long Shadows.
1. The Best Tasting Room – We are extremely grateful for our recognition as the nation’s #1 Tasting Room according to USA Today’s 2022 Top 10 Tasting Rooms in America (Best Wine Tasting Room Winners (2022) | USA TODAY 10Best). Make your plans to visit our Walla Walla Tasting Room and we’d be happy to show you why we’re considered the top tasting room in the country.
2. Our Winemakers – Most wineries are excited about their winemaker, and we are too, but our model is incredibly unique. At our inception, we were inspired by some of the finest winemakers in the world for each varietal that we produce, including Philipe Melka for Pirouette, Pomerol’s Michel Rolland for our Pedestal, and Australia’s John Duval for Sequel. We worked with the best winemakers to create a winemaking program that has been overseen by Director of Winemaking, Gilles Nicault, from our very first vintage.
3. 100 Points – Speaking of Gilles, we are humbled and overjoyed to have just received our first 100-point score (Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate) for the 2019 Feather Vintage Select Cabernet Sauvignon. Cheers to Gilles!
4. Key Club – We love our Key Club members and treat them like family. With savings on wine, benefits at both tasting rooms, exclusive club wines and special events, our highly customizable wine club is a customer favorite. Learn more: Long Shadows | Key Club
5. Walla Walla AND Woodinville – We mentioned that we have an award-winning tasting room in Walla Walla, and in addition we just opened a brand new, beautiful tasting room in Woodinville. As part of our celebration of 20 years of winemaking, our GRAND OPENING will be June 3 rd and 4 th – join us on the 4 th to check out the tasting room, views, and fire pits.
6. Celebrating 20 Years of Winemaking – That’s right, we are celebrating 20 years of winemaking in 2023 with thoughtful, retrospective tastings throughout the year, and an exclusive summer party for our Key Club members.
7. Founder Allen Shoup – Long Shadows was founded by wine-industry visionary Allen Shoup, following a distinguished 20-year career leading Chateau Ste. Michelle and Washington State wines to international prominence. Throughout his life, Allen was unwavering in his commitment to growing the global reputation of Washington wines. Check out the story: Long Shadows | Our Story
8. What’s in a Name? – It’s quickly apparent that the names of the Long Shadows wines are unique and steeped in meaning. Case in point, as a family-owned winery the roots run deep and are reflected in the name Chester-Kidder - a Cabernet/Syrah red blend - and a tribute to Allen’s mother, Elizabeth Chester and his grandmother, Maggie Kidder. Want to learn more about the fascinating Long Shadows wine names? Check it out here: Long Shadows | What's In a Name?
9. Chihuly Glass – Dale Chihuly, a Seattle area native and internationally coveted glass artist, was a long-time friend of Allen Shoup. His stunning work, including a one-of-a- kind chandelier, classic colorful selections, and a custom piece inspired by the Blue Ridge Mountains, are found in the Walla Walla tasting room. Learn more: Long Shadows | Story Behind The Chihuly Tasting Room
10. Pétanque Court – Whether you play Pétanque or Bocce or call it just plain boules, we are one of the few wineries in the Walla Walla valley with two dedicated courts. Guests can enjoy a spirited match while they sip on wines and enjoy small bites from our delicious charcuterie board options. We have boules you may borrow, but feel free to bring your own. Grab your friends and spend some time with us!